Sweet Onion Dip is delicious and simple to make. It's also perfect for a party. Serve with pita chips and your guests will be begging you for the recipe. The sweetness from the sauteed onions and the saltiness of the crackers are a winning combination.
You'll love how simple it is to make this dip rather than grabbing a container at the store. If you want even more dips for your table, also try my Hot Feta Artichoke Dip. Having variety means your guests all get what they want.
Savory Sweet Onion Dip
To make sure you see the simplicity of this dip, I've got all the step-by-step help you need below. From slicing the onions, to browning them, to finally chilling the dip, you'll know exactly what to do.
First, you slice up two whole sweet onions.
Sautee the onions in a little bit of butter for 30 minutes. Then add some apple cider vinegar and stir for 5 minutes.
Then add sour cream, mayonnaise, whole grain mustard, and chopped fresh parsley. Stir until combined. Serve with pita chips and other crackers and chips.
What appetizers should I serve?
Charcuterie is very popular right now, and classic fruits and vegetables are always a wonderful palate cleanser.
This is a gorgeous cheese platter that's simple to make. I used Brie cheese, Bleu cheese, and hard salami. Then added a variety of crackers, plus grapes and fresh thyme.
For this veggie platter, I purchased pre-sliced carrots and celery. I bought one red pepper and sliced it up. Then used store-bought ranch dip that I poured into this pretty bowl.
Holiday Party Tips
- Start with a solid colored table cloth. You can't go wrong with white or cream colored.
- An easy, yet beautiful decoration for your table is always fresh flowers. They have wonderful Fall arrangements at Publix. I like to have two similar arrangements for each end of the table.
- Thanksgiving themed paper plates and napkins add color and are easy clean up.
- Fall leaves also add color and look so festive. You can find them at most craft stores. Or you can use real leaves.
- A centerpiece such as this cute turkey would work or if you can't find one, you could use a real pumpkin in the center of your table.
- Mini pumpkins or gourds are a nice touch.
- Easy appetizers are the way to go. Less time to prepare and more time to party. I'm including some appetizer ideas for you here.
What are your favorite party ideas?
I also added chicken wings which I got at Publix. Isn't this a lovely Thanksgiving themed table! Serve the drinks of your choice in a cooler that's close to the table. If the weather's nice, take your party outside. Or if it's too chilly, then indoors is the best bet. Either way, it's sure to be fun for all. Getting together with friends and family is one of my favorite things to do, how about you? I hope you'll try this party plan and enjoy!
You might also like...
Sweet Onion Dip & Holiday Party Ideas
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 large sweet onions cut lengthwise in half, then crosswise into thin slices
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley divided
- ⅔ cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- 2 tablespoons whole grain mustard
- Pita crackers for serving
- Melt butter in large skillet on medium heat. Add onions; cook 20 minutes or until golden brown, stirring frequently. Stir in vinegar; cook 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Cool.
- Reserve ¼ teaspoon parsley. Mix remaining parsley with mayonnaise, sour cream and mustard in medium bowl until blended. Stir onions. Refrigerate 30 minutes or until chilled.
- Garnish with reserved parsley. Serve with crackers.