Pumpkin Ice Cream Cone Cupcakes are so much fun and festive with cake batter baked right into the cone. The kids will love them and they're perfect for Fall parties or birthday parties!
Looking for more pumpkin desserts? Here are a few Fall recipes you won't want to miss... Pumpkin Cupcakes,Pumpkin Spice Chocolate Donuts, or 25 Perfect Pumpkin Desserts Also, you might want to try this classic Fall favorite: Pumpkin Bars with Cream Cheese Frosting.
Why I love these ice cream cone cupcakes
• They're unique and a little different than traditional cupcakes or regular cupcakes.
• You can impress your party guests with these adorable cakes. Total crowd pleaser!
• Kids absolutely love these fun treats. The pumpkin cupcake cone makes them easy to hold and eat too.
• Easiest enough for a beginner baker since they're made with a mix and store bought frosting.
• Perfect for an October birthday party theme! Also great for bake sales!
What you need
Ice Cream Cones - Use your favorite brand but make sure they are the cake cones (not the sugar cones or waffle cones).
Cake Mix - We used the Funfetti brand Halloween themed store-bought cake mix for this recipe, but you could use any kind of cake mix you like such as yellow, white, chocolate, red velvet or pumpkin.
Frosting - We used the orange store bought frosting which works nicely in this recipe and is also quick and easy. If you prefer homemade frosting, try my Classic Vanilla Buttercream Frosting recipe. Then stir in a few drops of orange food coloring gel paste, reserving ¼ cup plain so you can add green food coloring gel paste. I like using food coloring gel paste such as Chefmaster or Americolor. If you're using the store bought orange frosting and don't want to make the homemade just for the little bit of green, you can buy green decorator frosting.
How to make Pumpkin ice cream cone cupcakes
- In a large bowl, mix up the cake batter with an electric mixer according to package instructions.
- Use a muffin scoop to scoop cupcake batter into greased muffin pans or cupcake pans. (You don't even need cupcake liners.) Make sure you don't over-fill them. You only need to fill the muffin cup ⅔ full.
- Add an upside down ice cream cone on top of the batter in each muffin cup.
- Bake at 350°F for 20-25 minutes or until toothpick inserted in middle comes out clean. Let cool.
5) Frost the cooled cupcakes with orange frosting.
6) Add a Tootsie Roll candy on top of the cupcake.
7) With a steady hand, pipe lines down the sides of the frosted part of the cupcake using a pastry bag fitted with a #4 round tip.
8) Add fun sprinkles and some green frosting for the leaves using a piping bag fitted with a #352 leaf tip.
• Room Temperature Ingredients - For best results, always use room temperature ingredients for most baking projects. Chilled ingredients mix differently and affect the consistency of the recipe.
• Prepared Pan - It's very important to grease your cupcake pan very well to make sure your little pumpkin cakes don't stick. Use shortening or butter and rub it all over the inside of the pan, covering all the crevices. I used a generous amount of Crisco and they popped out perfectly after baking and cooling.
• Serving Suggestion for Cupcake Cones -If you're serving them at a Halloween party, place each cupcake in a clear plastic cup with a handful of M&M candies in the bottom of the cup to stablize the cupcake and also look cute (preferrably just the orange, green and brown candies).
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
How much batter do I put in the muffin pan? This is an important question. Make sure you don't over-fill them. You only need to fill the muffin cup ⅔ full.
Does the ice cream cone burn in the oven? Lots of people have asked this question and the answer is no. As long as you bake your ice cream cone cupcakes on the middle rack of a 350°F oven for about 22 minutes, they will not burn.
How do I store my cupcakes? Place cupcakes in the cupcake pan that you baked them in (after it's cooled). You can place a little bit of aluminum foil around the base of each cone to stablize them, if you wish.
How do I transport my cupcakes? You can transport them the same exact way that you store them in the muffin pan. Then loosely cover with plastic wrap.
Can you make this recipe gluten free? Yes! Just substitute a gluten free cake mix and gluten free ice cream cones instead of the regular cake mix and cones.
Pumpkin Ice Cream Cone Cupcakes
- 1 box cake mix, prepared according to package. We used a Fall themed Funfetti mix.
- 1 can store bought orange colored vanilla frosting
- 18 ice cream cake cones
- 18 Tootsie Roll candies
- 2 tablespoons sprinkles
- 1 tube green decorator frosting
- In a large bowl, mix up the cake batter with an electric mixer according to package instructions. Use a muffin scoop to scoop cupcake batter into greased muffin pans or cupcake pans. (You don't even need cupcake liners.)
- Add an upside down ice cream cone on top of the batter in each muffin cup. Bake at 350°F for 20-25 minutes or until toothpick inserted in middle comes out clean. Let cool.
- Frost the cooled cupcakes with orange frosting. Add a Tootsie Roll candy on top of the cupcake. With a steady hand, pipe lines down the sides of the frosted part of the cupcake using a pastry bag fitted with a #4 round tip. Add fun sprinkles and some green frosting for the leaves using a piping bag fitted with a #352 leaf tip.
Love this recipe? If you try it, be sure to tag me on @Instagram! You can also find me on Pinterest, YouTube and Facebook.
Leave a Reply