Let me show you how to make Easy Superbowl Football Cupcakes - Perfect for the big game! Your family and friends will love these chocolate cupcakes with green buttercream grass and chocolate peanut butter footballs on top.
Whether you need a sweet treat for your super bowl party or even a birthday party, these grass frosting cupcakes are just the ticket. If you prefer chocolate frosting footballs instead of the green frosting, try these chocolate football cupcakes.
Easy Superbowl Football Cupcakes - Perfect for game day!
To be perfectly honest, I'm not a huge football fan. But my husband and his friends really enjoy watching the super bowl, so super bowl Sunday here we come. And you know I love to bake anything with a cute theme! These cupcakes are also a perfect halftime snack.
Cupcakes: You'll need one dozen of your favorite cupcakes (you can use a mix or make them from scratch, scroll to see my recipe suggestions).
For the frosting (The homemade buttercream recipe I'm sharing in this post is simply the perfect butter to sugar ratio):
Butter: Use unsalted butter, softened to room temperature. I usually set it on the counter the night before I bake or at least a few hours before.
Powdered Sugar: Also called confectioner's sugar or icing sugar. If you use the kind that comes in a 2 lb. plastic bag, you won't have to sift it.
Heavy Whipping Cream: If you don't have heavy cream, you could use half and half or unsweetened coconut milk (in a can).
Vanilla Extract: Pure vanilla extract is best. Don't use vanilla flavoring because it doesn't taste as good.
Green Food Coloring: Green gel food coloring works best. You can find this in the baking section of your local department store (such as Wilton brand) or online (look for Americolor or Chefmaster).
Chocolate Peanut Butter Eggs: Such as Reese's (available before Easter time which happens to coincide with Super Bowl season). If you can't find them, you could make footballs out of chocolate fondant or use Tootsie Rolls.
Let's talk about cupcakes
You have several options here. Use your favorite cupcake recipe or cake mix. I actually used the Simple Mills Almond Flour Chocolate Muffin mix for these cupcakes. There are some good recipes on my blog that you could use too. You could totally make Aunt Emily's Chocolate Fudge Cake into cupcakes. If you'd like to make them gluten free, you could make this Chocolate Drip cake into cupcakes as well. It's a super moist and delicious recipe! You could also make vanilla cupcakes, if you prefer.
How to make Easy Superbowl Football Cupcakes
This is just an overview, scroll to see the full recipe.
First you make your cupcakes, either from scratch or with a cake mix. For that extra football field theme, use green cupcake liners for your cupcake batter. Bake as directed and place on a cooling rack.
Next, whip up your homemade buttercream frosting using an electric mixer. Tint it green (reserving a small amount of white frosting for the football laces).
Pour into pastry bag fitted with a grass piping tip such as the Wilton #233. I like the Wilton 16" disposable decorator bags.
Once you pour the frosting into the pastry bag, secure the end with a bag tie or rubber band. Now you're ready to pipe grass.
Holding the bag at a 45° angle, gently squeeze as you pull away from the cupcake and release. Repeat until the top of the cupcake is covered with grass frosting.
Now for the chocolate footballs. If using the Reese's chocolate eggs as your mini footballs, then just pipe the laces on with white buttercream poured into a pastry bag fitted with a #3 round tip. If you can't find the chocolate eggs, you could use Tootsie Rolls or make your own egg shaped mini footballs out of chocolate fondant, then pipe the laces with buttercream frosting.
Cake decorating tips for your game day cupcakes
To achieve the grass frosting, you will need to use a Wilton pastry tip #233 which are available at any craft or department store that has a cake decorating section.
For the football laces, you will need a Wilton #3 round pastry tip.
You will also need two pastry bags. I like the disposable Wilton 16-inch pastry bags.
Cut the tiny corner off of each bag allowing just enough room to stick the pointed end of the pastry tips through the narrow opening of the bag. Then pour the green frosting into the bag fitted with the #233 tip and the white frosting into the bag fitted with the #3 tip. Do not overfill the bags. Secure ends with a twist tie or rubber band.
Pipe the green frosting onto your cooled cupcakes, starting on the outer edges and working in circles until you reach the center. Place the chocolate egg in the middle (flat side down). Pipe one line in the middle and four smaller lines across to look like the football laces.
Enjoy your cupcakes while watching the big game or wait until the end. They can either be a celebratory treat or a little pick me up for the ending you weren’t expecting. Either way, they are incredibly good!
May the best team win!
Tools for success
Note: The above items are affiliate links.
Want even more? Stay in touch on Facebook, Pinterest, Twitter, and Instagram for all my latest updates. If you make this recipe, share a photo on social media tagging @momlovesbaking and using the hashtag #momlovesbaking.
Easy Superbowl Football Cupcakes
- 12 chocolate cupcakes use your favorite mix or recipe
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened or 2 sticks
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream or unsweetened coconut milk from the can
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 3 drops green food coloring gel
- 12 chocolate peanut butter eggs (we used Reese's)
For the cupcakes
- Prepare cake mix according to package instructions and bake as directed in a muffin pan with green cupcake liners. Let cool completely before decorating.
For the frosting
- Beat softened butter on medium speed with an electric or stand mixer. Beat for 3 minutes until smooth and creamy.
- Add powdered sugar, cream, and vanilla extract with the mixer running on low. Increase to high speed and beat for 3 minutes. Note: If the frosting is too thick, you can add a little more cream. Just add one tablespoon at a time, then mix thoroughly until you get the consistency you like. Tint it green (reserving a small amount - about ½ cup - of white frosting for the football laces).
- Pour green frosting into pastry bag fitted with a grass piping tip such as the Wilton #233. I like the Wilton 16" disposable decorator bags. Once you pour the frosting into the pastry bag, secure the end with a bag tie or rubber band. Now you're ready to pipe grass.
- Holding the bag at a 45° angle, gently squeeze as you pull away from the cupcake and release. Repeat until the top of the cupcake is covered with grass frosting.
- Now for the chocolate footballs. If using the Reese's chocolate eggs as your mini footballs, then just pipe the laces on with white buttercream poured into a pastry bag fitted with a #3 round tip. If you can't find the chocolate eggs, you could use Tootsie Rolls or make your own egg shaped mini footballs out of chocolate fondant, then pipe the laces with buttercream frosting.
All text and images © Lise Ode for Mom Loves Baking. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please re-write the recipe in your own words, or link back to this post for the recipe. Disclaimer: Nutrition information shown is not guaranteed to be accurate. This post contains affiliate links.