Football Cupcakes are chocolate cupcakes with chocolate ganache piped in the shape of a football on top and buttercream laces. Easy to make with a cake mix for the cupcakes and delicious homemade frosting on top. Or if you prefer homemade cupcakes, try my favorite "made from scratch" chocolate cake called Aunt Emily's Fudge Cake.
Make Football Cupcakes for the Big Game!
The Super Bowl is almost here, so I thought I should make a treat to get us all into the football spirit. I'm not a huge NFL fan, but how can I help but be excited this year since the team from my home city is playing in the big game. That's right, the Atlanta Falcons are going to RISE UP and hopefully go for the win! I do know enough to be aware that we are the under dog, but that's ok. Isn't it fun to pull for the under dog, though!
It doesn't matter what team you're pulling for. These Football Cupcakes are so cute and yummy! They're perfect for any football party and your team of choice!
Start with your Favorite Cake Mix
I've been testing organic ingredients lately and trying to incorporate more organic foods into our life, so I wanted to try this Arrowhead Mills Organic Chocolate Cake Mix. Turns out, it's completely delicious! I highly recommend it! I found it at my local Publix.
If you want to make homemade chocolate cupcakes, try Aunt Emily's Chocolate Fudge Cake (also on my blog).
How to Make Football Cupcakes
I like to use an ice cream scoop to scoop the batter into the muffin cups. It's so much easier that way. (Scroll to bottom to see the one I use.)
Bake cupcakes according to package directions. I baked mine for about 23 minutes at 350°F.
How to Make the Chocolate Ganache Frosting
Meanwhile, make your chocolate ganache frosting. This is one of my favorite frosting recipes because it's so simple and just 3 ingredients.
Step 1) Pour boiling cream over chocolate chips, then cover bowl with plastic wrap until chocolate chips are completely melted.
2nd Step - Stir until smooth. It will be soupy at first.
3rd Step - Let it set until the ganache thickens up; about 20-30 minutes.
Note: you can watch me make this frosting LIVE on my Facebook page. Go to the video section and look for Football Cupcakes.
For the Butercream Football Laces
Next, make a small batch of buttercream frosting. Recipe follows.
How to Decorate Football Cupcakes
- Pour chocolate ganache into a pastry bag fitted with a 4B tip and pour buttercream into a pastry bag fitted with a #6 tip.
- Pipe the chocolate ganache in a zig-zag pattern to form the shape of a football. Then pipe the buttercream football laces. They're ready to eat!
Enjoy your cupcakes while watching the big game or wait until the end. They can either be a celebratory treat or a little pick me up for the ending you weren't expecting. Either way, they are incredibly good!
May the best team win!
Tools for success
Want even more? Subscribe to Mom Loves Baking to get new recipes and a newsletter delivered to your inbox. And stay in touch on Facebook, Pinterest, Twitter, and Instagram for all my latest updates. If you make this recipe, share a photo on social media tagging @momlovesbaking and using the hashtag #momlovesbaking.
For the cupcakes
- 1 box chocolate cake mix, prepared according to package instructions I used Arrowhead Mills Organic)
For the chocolate ganache frosting
- 16 ounces semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
For the buttercream frosting
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter softened
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon heavy whipping cream plus more if icing is too thick
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line muffin pan with cupcake liners. Set aside.
- Prepare cake mix according to package instructions. I used 2 organic eggs, ½ cup olive oil and 1 cup almond milk for the Arrowhead Mills Chocolate Cake mix that I used. Fill cupcake liners with batter. I was able to make 12 cupcakes. Bake as directed. I baked them for about 23 minutes. Let cool. Note: If you prefer homemade cake, try my Aunt Emily's Chocolate Fudge Cake recipe, made into 12 cupcakes.
- Meanwhile, make the ganache. Add chocolate chips to a large glass bowl (or any heat safe bowl). Place cream in a heavy saucepan and heat on medium high until it starts to bowl and bubble up. Once the bubbles have covered the top of the cream, remove from heat and immediately pour over chocolate chips. Then immediately cover bowl with plastic wrap. Let it sit for 20 minutes or until the chips are completely melted. Stir chocolate mixture until smooth. It will be soupy at first. Stir in vanilla. Let it sit for another 20 minutes or until thick. You can put in the refrigerator for about 10 minutes to speed up the process. Once it's thick, pour into a pastry bag fitted with a 4B tip. Pipe the ganache in a zig-zag pattern to form the shape of a football.
- Meanwhile, make the buttercream. Place butter, sugar, cream and vanilla in a bowl and beat with an electric mixer until creamy. Pour into a pastry bag and cut the corner to make a small round hole for piping. (Or use a #6 pastry tip.) Pipe a straight line across the top middle portion of the football. Then make four lines across to form the football laces. Serve immediately. Store them covered at room temperature for 24 hours or in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
More recipes you might like…
You also might like these...
This post is featured on Meal Plan Monday over at A Southern Soul.
All text and images © Lise Ode for Mom Loves Baking. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please re-write the recipe in your own words, or link back to this post for the recipe. Disclaimer: Nutrition information shown is not guaranteed to be accurate. This post may contain affiliate links.