Football Cupcakes are chocolate cake with chocolate ganache piped in the shape of a football on top and buttercream laces.
The Super Bowl is almost here, so I thought I should make a treat to get us all into the football spirit. I’m not a huge NFL fan, but how can I help but be excited this year since the team from my home city is playing in the big game. That’s right, the Atlanta Falcons are going to RISE UP and hopefully go for the win! I do know enough to be aware that we are the under dog, but that’s ok. Isn’t it fun to pull for the under dog, though!
It doesn’t matter what team you’re pulling for. These Football Cupcakes are so cute and yummy! They’re perfect for any football party and your team of choice!
I’ve been testing organic ingredients lately and trying to incorporate more organic foods into our life, so I wanted to try this Arrowhead Mills Organic Chocolate Cake Mix. Turns out, it’s completely delicious! I highly recommend it! I found it at my local Publix.
If you can’t find it at your local grocer, you can find it here online (affiliate):
I like to use an ice cream scoop to scoop the batter into the muffin cups. It’s so much easier that way.
Here’s the one that I like (affiliate):
Bake cupcakes according to package directions. I baked mine for about 23 minutes at 350°F.
If you want to make a homemade chocolate cupcake, try my Chocolate Sunbutter Cupcakes.
Meanwhile, make your chocolate ganache frosting. This is one of my favorite frosting recipes because it’s so simple and just 3 ingredients. Pour boiling cream over chocolate chips, then cover bowl with plastic wrap until chocolate chips are completely melted.
Note: you can watch me make this frosting LIVE on my Facebook page. Go to the video section and look for Football Cupcakes.
Stir until smooth. It will be soupy at first.
Let it set until the ganache thickens up; about 20-30 minutes.
Next, make a small batch of buttercream frosting. Recipe follows.
Pour chocolate ganache into a pastry bag fitted with a 4B tip and pour buttercream into a pastry bag fitted with a #6 tip.
Pipe the chocolate ganache in a zig-zag pattern to form the shape of a football. Then pipe the buttercream football laces. They’re ready to eat!
Enjoy your cupcakes while watching the big game or wait until the end. They can either be a celebratory treat or a little pick me up for the ending you weren’t expecting. Either way, they are incredibly good!
May the best team win!
- For the cupcakes
- 1 (18.6 oz) chocolate cake mix, prepared according to package instructions (I used Arrowhead Mills Organic)
- For the chocolate ganache frosting
- 16 ounces semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- For the buttercream frosting
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon heavy whipping cream (plus more if icing is too thick)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line muffin pan with cupcake liners. Set aside.
- Prepare cake mix according to package instructions. I used 2 organic eggs, 1/2 cup olive oil and 1 cup almond milk for the Arrowhead Mills Chocolate Cake mix that I used. Fill cupcake liners with batter. I was able to make 12 cupcakes. Bake as directed. I baked them for about 23 minutes. Let cool.
- Meanwhile, make the ganache. Add chocolate chips to a large glass bowl (or any heat safe bowl). Place cream in a heavy saucepan and heat on medium high until it starts to bowl and bubble up. Once the bubbles have covered the top of the cream, remove from heat and immediately pour over chocolate chips. Then immediately cover bowl with plastic wrap. Let it sit for 20 minutes or until the chips are completely melted. Stir chocolate mixture until smooth. It will be soupy at first. Let it sit for another 20 minutes or until thick. You can put in the refrigerator for about 10 minutes to speed up the process. Once it's thick, pour into a pastry bag fitted with a 4B tip. Pipe the ganache in a zig-zag pattern to form the shape of a football.
- Meanwhile, make the buttercream. Place butter, sugar, cream and vanilla in a bowl and beat with an electric mixer until creamy. Pour into a pastry bag fitted with a #6 tip. Pipe a straight line across the top middle portion of the football. Then make four lines across to form the football laces. Serve immediately. Store them covered at room temperature for 24 hours or in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
You also might like these…