These Heart Shaped Valentine's Day Cupcakes with strawberry frosting are so delicious!
All you need is a muffin pan, aluminum foil and a cake mix to make the cutest heart-shaped red velvet cupcakes.
The Best Valentine's Day Cupcakes!
The perfect Valentine's Day dessert and ultimate declaration of love!
This recipe is great for Valentine's parties, and sharing with friends and family.
Why I Love this easy recipe
• What makes these Valentine's Day Cupcakes so cute is the heart shape, the color and of course the great taste!
• The best part is, you don't even need a special pan to make these cupcakes.
• Foil balls is the secret to making heart-shaped cupcakes. It's so simple to do and inexpensive too.
• It's so festive to have heart shaped treats and lots of pink and red. These heart cupcakes are always a hit.
• It's the perfect treat to celebrate Valentine's Day with your kids or for a party with a whole bunch of kids.
• These adorable Valentine's day cupcakes are the perfect edible gift for the love of your life.
What you Need
Cake Mix - We used Duncan Hines Red Velvet. Try your favorite flavor or make red velvet homemade cupcakes from scratch.
Eggs - Always use large eggs for baking recipes unless noted otherwise. Don't have eggs? You can replace 1 egg with ¼ applesauce or yogurt.
Store Bought Frosting - We used the Pillsbury Strawberry Frosting because it's pink. Pick your favorite or try my homemade buttercream frosting.
Vegetable Oil - Use any mild tasting oil that you prefer. I like avocado oil or light olive oil. You could also use coconut oil but keep in mind it will add a slight coconut flavor.
Sprinkles - We used some fun Valentine sprinkles made by Wilton. Red sprinkles would be cute too.
How to Make Valentine's Cupcakes
1) Prepare your cake mix in a large bowl according to package instructions. Use a stand mixer or mix by hand if you prefer.
2) Tear off a small piece of aluminum foil and crumple into a ball the size of a marble. Make 18 balls.
3) Line your muffin pan or cupcake pan with cupcake liners and place a foil ball in each cup (between liner and pan).
4) Fill each cupcake liner with the cupcake batter. You want them to be about ⅔ of the way full. Be careful not to overfill them.
5) Then bake the cupcakes for 20 to 22 minutes. You want a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
6) Let the cupcakes cool completely on a wire rack.
Decorating these fun valentine cupcakes
1) Scoop frosting into a large piping bag or decorating bag fitted with a 1M pastry tip. Close bag with a twist tie.
2) Pipe frosting onto top of cooled cupcake in a heart shaped pattern.
3) Add sprinkles on top your heart-shaped cupcake.
4) Another option is to add fresh strawberries to the tops of the cupcakes.
• Always use room temperature ingredients for all baking recipes.
• Try different cupcake flavors for your Valentine cupcakes, such as vanilla cupcakes, dark chocolate cupcakes, or strawberry cupcakes to name just a few different flavors.
• Want to fill cupcakes without making a mess? The easiest way to fill cupcake liners is using an ice cream or cookie scoop for perfect uniform cupcakes. A scooper that holds 4 tablespoons works well for standard size cupcakes.
• Put a filling inside the center of each cupcake for extra flavor? Here are a few ideas: Melted chocolate, caramel, peanut butter, jam or cream cheese.
• Store cupcakes in an airtight container at room temperature for 24 hours or in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
my favorite homemade frosting recipes:
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the secret to super moist cupcakes? Use oil instead of butter if you're using a cake mix. Also, it's VERY important to not overmix the batter. Always mix on a low speed to avoid this, stopping just as all ingredients blend. That way, you can get moist and fluffy cupcakes every time!
What does adding an extra egg do to my cupcakes? The additional fat in the egg yolk produces a more tender and moist cake. The extra egg also helps the cake have a more stable texture, which is great if you want to bake it up as a layer cake.
Is it better to make cupcakes with water or milk? It's always best to use what the recipe calls for, otherwise, milk is usually a better choice over water. Milk contains sugar and fat, which can help with the taste and texture of the cake.
Do you grease cupcake pan when using liners? No, absolutely not because the paper liners will get soggy and may not stick to your cupcake once cooled. You don't want your cupcake liner to peel away before you are ready!
What are popular Valentine's treats?
Now you're ready for February 14th! I hope you enjoy this easy Valentine's Day dessert idea. Easy desserts like this are the perfect way to satisfy your sweet tooth for the holiday.
Heart Shaped Valentine's Day Cupcakes
- 1 package red velvet cake mix, prepared according to package instructions. We used Duncan Hines
- 1 can store bought strawberry frosting We used Pillsbury
- 2 tablespoons sprinkles
- Tear off a small piece of aluminum foil and crumple into a ball the size of a marble. Make 18 balls. Line your muffin pan or cupcake pan with cupcake liners and place a foil ball in each cup (between liner and pan). Set aside.
- Prepare your cake mix in a large bowl according to package instructions. Use a stand mixer or mix by hand if you prefer. Fill each cupcake liner with the cupcake batter. You want them to be about ⅔ of the way full. Be careful not to overfill them.
- Then bake the cupcakes for 20 to 22 minutes. You want a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Let the cupcakes cool completely on a wire rack.
- Scoop frosting into a large piping bag or decorating bag fitted with a 1M pastry tip. Close bag with a twist tie. Pipe frosting onto top of cooled cupcake in a heart shaped pattern. Add sprinkles on top your heart-shaped cupcake.
A few behind the scenes photos of me...